The Veg Manchurian recipe is a popular Indo-Chinese dish that is a must-have at any party or get-together. This is one recipe that both children and adults enjoy equally. In India, Indo-Chinese food is well-known. Veg Manchurian, like Vada pav or Gol gape, is popular street food. The Veg Manchurian recipe comprises fried vegetable dumplings. These fried dumplings are further cooked in a mixture of soy sauce, tomato sauce, and chili sauce gravy.
People consider making this recipe at home a difficult task. Hence, prefer having Manchurian and other Indo-Chinese recipes at restaurants or relish it as street food. When I thought of making it for the first time, I too was hesitant as I thought it involves many ingredients and steps.
But, believe me, though it looks like an elaborate recipe, Manchurian is very simple and easy to make. All that needs to be done is follow the steps.
Variants of Veg Manchurian Recipe
Manchurian Balls basically have two variants :
Dry Manchurian Balls - Served as starters for any occasion. This is a favorite party appetizer, which is served at almost all parties and events along with kebabs. Dry Manchurian variations also include Gobi-Manchurian, Mushroom Manchurian along with the regular Veg Manchurian balls.
Veg Manchurian balls in Gravy - It is the main course recipe. Veg Fried Rice or Hakka Noodles are served with Veg Manchurian balls as an accompaniment. It is one of the most loved recipes in my house and we do not wait for parties or occasions to prepare this wonderful delicacy.
- For Manchurian Balls
- 1/4 cup Carrot grated
- 1/4 cup Cabbage shredded
- 1/4 cup Spring onions chopped
- 1 tsp Ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 cup Beans finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Bell pepper finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Corn flour
- 2 tbsp All-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Black pepper crushed
- Oil for Deep Frying
- For Gravy
- 1 tbsp Ginger finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Garlic Finely chopped
- 1 tsp Green chilli finely chopped
- 4 tbsp Spring onion finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Bell pepper finely chopped
- 1/2 tbsp Dark soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Tomato ketchup
- 2 tbsp Red chilli sauce
- 2 tsp Vinegar
- 1 1/2 cup Water or vegetable stock
- 1 tbsp Corn flour
- 2 tbsp Water
- 1/2 tsp Black pepper crushed
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1/2 tsp Sugar (optional)
- Take a large bowl, finely chop the vegetables and add them in the bowl.
- Add ginger-garlic paste and mix it with the vegetables.
- Add Corn Flour and all purpose flour and coat the vegetables well with them.
- Add black pepper and salt and mix all the ingredients well. No need to add water, as the vegetables will release water which is sufficient to bind all ingredients together.
- After binding all ingredients well, divide them into small equal portions and shape them into small sized balls.
- Heat oil in a pan. To check if oil is ready to fry, drop a small portion of the vegetable ball into the oil. If the ball floats up steadily without sticking to the bottom, it means oil is ready for frying.
- Now, slowly add all the vegetable balls in hot oil and keep the flame on medium fry them till golden brown .
- Drain the fried balls in a kitchen towel to remove the excess oil.
- Now to Prepare the gravy, In a small bowl add soy sauce, tomato ketchup and red chilli sauce and mix all of them together.
- In another bowl, add a tablespoon of cornflour. Add little water and prepare a slurry and keep it for later use.
- In a cooking pan, heat some oil.
- Add chopped onions, finely chopped green chillies and ginger . Saute it
- Add ¼ cup of finely chopped Bell Pepper.
- Saute all this in a high frame for a couple of minutes.
- Add 1 ½ cups of water and bring it to a boil.
- Add the sauces to the boiling water and let it boil for a minute or two.
- Give a quick stir to the cornflour mixture and slowly start adding it to the sauce mixture. Keep stirring continuously, so that no lumps are formed.
- Simmer the mixture till it cooks well and thickens. Ensure there is no raw smell of the cornflour left. Cook the gravy for 3-4 minutes.
- Add this stage, you should add salt, black pepper, vinegar and sugar(optional).
- Now, slowly add the veg manchurian balls which were fried earlier. Coat the balls well with the sauce.
- Switch off the Flame. Veg Manchurian balls are ready to serve.
- Serve the Veg Manchurian balls, garnished with spring onions . Veg Manchurian can be served with Hakka noodles or Fried Rice.
- While making Manchurian balls, do not add water. Water released from vegetables is sufficient to bind the vegetables together.
- After adding the corn flour slurry, keep stirring continuously to avoid the formation of lumps.