The Strawberry jam recipe is a very easy-to-make jam and is an all-time favorite jam in our house, and you can usually find it in my refrigerator. The best part is that I exclusively use my own handmade strawberry preserves. Strawberries, a seasonal fruit, are available in the market in plenty during the warm seasons of March-April.
Thus it is an ideal time to take advantage of it. I use this opportunity to freeze or prepare jam from these berries and store them for later use. This way, I'll be able to enjoy them throughout the year.
I adore these vibrant red, juicy, and delicious berries, which are packed with health benefits. I've created a couple other recipes with this lovely fruit, in addition to the strawberry jam recipe.
Some interesting facts about Strawberries:
Strawberry is the only fruit that has seeds on the outside layer of the fruit unlike others where the seed is inside the fruit.
Strawberries aren’t true berries as the berries should have the seed inside them.
Strawberries are considered to be the member of the rose family as they also grow in bushes just like roses. Further they also smell as they taste.
Health Benefits of Strawberry
Strawberries are full of vitamin C, manganese, vitamin B9 and potassium. They are very rich in dietary fibre which helps in improving your gut health. They are rich in antioxidants known as polyphenol which helps to improve your immune system.
These berries are good for your heart, as they have negligible fat and cholesterol. Strawberries are a great source of potassium, which helps in lowering blood cholesterol. This is another reason why they are good for your heart.
Here are the Steps for the Strawberry Jam Recipe
Strawberry Jam Recipe (Without Pectin)
- 500 gms Strawberries
- 300 gms Sugar
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- To start with the Strawberry Jam recipe , we have to first wash the strawberries well in a strainer a couple of times.
- Drain all the water and pat the strawberries dry with a paper towel or a kitchen towel.
- Remove the top green stem from the strawberries. and chop them roughly.
- Take a sauce pan and add all the chopped strawberries into it.
- Add approximately 300gms of sugar for the 500 gms of strawberries we have take.
- Add Approximately 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. Mix all the ingredients well.
- Keeping the flame on low to medium, start cooking all the ingredients.
- You will notice that the strawberries start releasing their juice.
- Keep cooking the strawberries till they turn soft .
- Continue to stir the mixture in between and keep cooking the strawberry in a low flame mixture till they reduce in quantity.
- This takes approximately 40 minutes.
- After around 40minutes, you will notice that the jam starts to leave the sides of the pan.
- Make a note that this is the time the Jam has reached the setting point.
- Switch off the flame and let the jam cool.
- A Few tests to check if your Jam is cooked Properly
- Plate Test Take a spoonful of the strawberry jam on a plate and let it cool. If it sets on cooling and there is no water separation, this means the jam is cooked well.
- Spoon TestIn a spoon, take some jam. Allow the jam to fall from the spoon on a plate. If the jam falls as one single piece from the spoon without getting scattered, It means it is cooked well.
- Cool the Jam till it reaches Room temperature.
- Transfer it into a sterilized glass jar and refrigerate the Jam.
- This stays good for up to 4 weeks when stored and refrigerated properly.
- The amount of sugar can be adjusted as per your taste or depending on the sweetness of the strawberries.
- You can use fresh as well frozen strawberries for the recipe.