Peas pulao or Matar pulao recipe is a classical Indian rice recipe. It is traditionally made with the finest quality of Basmati rice. As the name indicates, green peas or Matar is definitely the star of the recipe. Ideally, people serve the matar pulao with different types of gravies.
Honestly speaking, you don’t need any side dish with this pulao. In case you want to try any gravy, then try my recipe of Gatte ki sabji with it. The combination is deadly. This easy one-pot dish is super delicious and takes less than 30 minutes to prepare which includes the preparation time. It's so simple that on a busy day this could be a quick lunch that you can make. In my house, an Ideal lunch menu is usually either Naan/kulcha or Chole-Bhature with Matar pulao.
Ways To Prepare Matar Pulao Recipe
There are different ways to make the matar pulao recipe. Few like to make it in the Pressure cooker and few like to make it in Kadhai. Then there are few people who use a rice cooker or instant pot to prepare the recipe of matar pulao. My favorite version, however, is matar pulao made in Kadhai as it doesn’t let the rice stick together.
A pulao, known as Pilaf, is mainly made with Rice, Vegetables, Oil, and some spices. Since we are making a Matar pulao, the main ingredient here is definitely Matar or Green peas. To make it more delightful, I love to add caramelized onions to the peas pulao recipe. This is because the combination of basmati rice, peas, and caramelized onions adds a heavenly taste to this recipe.
Matar Pulao Recipe
- 1 cup Basmati Rice
- 1/2 cup Green peas (Matar)
- 1/2 cup Onions sliced
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 2 1/4 cup Water
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 pc Black Cardomon
- 1 pc Bay Ley (Tej Patta)
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- Wash and Rinse a cup of Basmati Rice, till the water runs clear.
- Soak the rice for 20-30 mins. Drain the water and leave it aside. This step ensures that each grain of rice is well cooked.
- Thinly slice a medium-sized onion.
- Take half a cup of Fresh or Frozen Green Peas. Rinse them well (For Frozen peas you need to soak them in lukewarm water for sometime before rinsing them)
- In a kadhai, add 2 tablespoons oil.
- Add cumin seeds, black cardamom and a bay leaf. Gently fry them on low flame till they release the aroma.
- Now, add 1/2 cup of thinly sliced onions and fry them till they caramelize or turn light brown.
- Next, add half a cup of green peas. Mix and cook them with the fried onions for a couple of minutes.
- Add the soaked basmati rice. Gently stir it along with the peas and spices. Do this with a gentle hand, so that the grains of rice do not break.
- Now, add 2 ¼ cups of water.
- Add, salt and a tablespoon of lemon juice. Lemon juice ensures the rice grains do not stick to each other.
- Cover the kadhai with a lid and cook it on medium flame for 5 minutes.
- After this, turn the flame to low and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Switch off the flame, and do not open the lid. Let the rice cook in the steam released for another 5 minutes.
- You can remove the lid after 5 minutes, and with gently hands mix the rice.
- Scoop out some rice with a label and serve it with gravy of your choice.
- Do not Skip adding Lemon juice, as this will prevent the rice grains from sticking to each other.
- If, using Frozen peas, soak them in lukewarm water for few minutes and then rinse them.