Kulcha is a popular north Indian Flat Bread that is mostly served with Chole or Matar. These kulchas are soft in texture and easy to make. In today’s recipe, I will tell you how to make this kulcha recipe on tawa.
Famous Amritsari Paneer Kulcha Recipe
All time famous recipe
Difference between kulcha and naan?
Many people think that kulcha is the same thing as naan. However, this is not the case. While naan and kulcha both refer to Indian bread, they are very different too. Naan has a crispy outside and soft inside. Kulcha is more like a "soft burger bun" or a focaccia bread, according to Chef Justin Dumais.
Kulcha Recipe on Tawa
- To activate the yeast, take1 tsp yeast and add 2 tsp sugar. Add 100 ml lukewarm water. Keep it aside until it froth.
- In a mixing bowl add 400 gm maida, 1 tsp salt, and add activated yeast solution.
- Start kneading the dough by adding little water at a time.
- Now add 1 tbsp oil and gently mix it into the dough.
- Shape it into a ball and keep it in the bowl covered with cling wrap.
- Let the dough rest until it doubles in volume.
- Once the proofing is done, remove the cling wrap and punch the dough. Take it out on the counter.
- Divide the dough into 10 equal portions. And shape each portion into a ball.
- Meanwhile, keep a skillet on the flame and keep the flame on medium.
- Using a rolling pin, now roll the dough ball into the shape of a kulcha (Round or oval as you want).
- Garnish the rolled kulcha with chopped coriander and sesame seeds.
- Transfer the shaped kulcha to the skillet and sprinkle some water.
- Cover it immediately with a lid. Let it cook on a medium flame for 2-3 minutes.
- Flip the side of the kulcha and let it cook from the other side for a minute.
- Gently lift it and place it on a tray. Cover it with a clean kitchen towel.
- Similarly, shape and cook all the kulchas.
- For serving, just add some butter to the pan and cook already prepared kulcha with butter. Then serve with your choice of gravy.
- You can prepare all the kulchas and store these for 2 days at room temperature or in the refrigerator for a max of 3 days.
- The ingredient amount mentioned in the recipe is based upon the trials. Changing any ingredient can change the results. So feel free to experiment at your own risk