Besan chilla is an Indian version of a pancake. Gram flour Chilla is a savory Indian pancake, usually made with gram flour. It is a very nutritious and healthy recipe that can be eaten for breakfast or as a snack.
Besan Chilla is a great recipe for those looking to lose weight, as well as a healthy option for diabetics.
Besan chilla is a staple recipe across North India. The recipe involves making a batter of gram flour, and then add chopped onion, and tomatoes. You can add vegetables of your choice when you are making it for children.
Besan Chilla for Kids
Mothers are always concerned about providing their children with nutritious and delectable meal options. Vegetable upma and homemade soft and spongy idli are two of the most popular recipes for children.
Besan chilla is another highly recommended for kids, as it is heavily loaded with proteins. You can add vegetables of your choice, to make your chilla more kid-friendly.
Besan Chilla is ofter referred as Besan Omelette by some. Gram flour chilla is an easy lunchbox recipe for kids. When making for toddlers, leave out the green and red chili powders.
Besan Chilla For Weight Loss Journey
Besan Chilla or Gram Flour chilla is highly recommended for those interested in maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Gram flour has a lower glycemic index and a higher protein content, making it a very healthy flour. Due to the lower glycemic index of gram flour, they are able to burn calories quickly and so are ideal for weight loss.
If you are making a Besan chilla as a part of your weight loss recipe, try to use less oil. Poha, Oats, and millets are a few other options that we can use to prepare various recipes for weight loss. You can also try having Dal kababs which are pan-fried with very less oil.
Healthier Substitute for Besan/Gram Flour
Gram flour is ideally used to make Besan ka chilla, because of the many benefits this flour has. But if you are looking for another healthy substitute for this flour, then try using ground white chickpea flour or chickpea flour. Chickpea flour is also relatively low in carbs and calories. It is higher in protein and fiber and so can be a healthier option.
Coriander Chutney - A Great Combination for your Besan chilla
- 1 cup Besan
- 1/4 cup Finely chopped Onion
- 1 tsp Green chilies (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup Coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup Grated Tomato
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Fennel seeds
- 1/4 tsp Red chili powder
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 3/4 cup Water or as required
- 4-5 tbsp Oil or as required
- In a Wide mouth Bowl, Take a cup of Besan or Gram Flour.
- To the Gram Flour, add ¼ cup of onions and ¼ cup of grated tomato.
- Further, add a teaspoon of finely chopped green chilies and ¼ cup of finely chopped coriander leaves.
- Add a teaspoon of fennel seeds. This adds to the flavour of the besan chilla recipe.
- For seasoning, add a 1/4teaspoon of turmeric and red chili powder. Also, add a teaspoon of salt.
- Slowly add water to form a smooth and lump free batter.
- Rest the batter for 15 minutes.
- Check the batter once, if the batter is thick add a little more water. Make a note that the batter needs to be of flowing consistency.
- Take a cast iron skillet if you have one or else take a normal pan that you have.
- Heat the skillet on medium flame and apply some oil on it.
- Pour a ladle full of batter on the pan and spread it evenly using the rounded side of the ladle.
- Cook the chilla on low flame till the chilla cooks evenly. Drizzle some oil and flip the chilla.
- Cook the other side of the chilla until you see golden spots on this side. Apply some oil and flip it.
- Cook the chilla for another 1 minute after flipping.
- Remove from the skillet.
- Serve hot and healthy besan chilla with mouth watering coriander chutney.
- Gram Flour is heavy to digest, adding fennel seeds helps in easy digestion on the same.
- For those who are preparing chilla as a weight loss recipe, try making it with very less oil or no oil.
- If you are making it for kids, you may like to add chopped spinach to increase the nutritional value.